Thursday 19 July 2012

GradAcad day 19: Zed Nelson, Mother and The Park Study. 19th July.


Today was left quite free to allow people to recover from last nights party. I decided to do a little bit of shooting for The Park Study, which went alright until it started raining. But  I did meet this little squirrel, who was very friendly.. probably because he wanted food or something!




This afternoon GradAcad had a session at Mother with Sam Payne, there is a little exhibition inside the Atrium at Mother by Zed Nelson and it is about the transformation of Hackney, as it used to be seen as a dodgy gang-ridden borough of London, but now it has transformed into the trendy hipster part of the city. The series explores the merging of gang culture and hipster life within Hackney, it is titled "The Tale of Two Cities" and rightfully so as it explores two very different cultures which can both be found within Hackney. Another reason why I found the series so interesting is because I have been living in Hackney for the past month, I recognised a few of the places and also found out that a girl had been shot through the window of a fast food shop just round the corner from where I am staying, so it is a little bit haunting. 





I definitely recommend that you check out Zed Nelson's work: http://zednelson.com/


Our session with Sam Payne was great, he talked all about Lies Vs. Culture, so how adverts can either lie to sell their product or they could be culturally accurate so that their product appeals to the right audience. It was really interesting and the things which I learnt were easily transferable into my own photographic work. So thank you Mother and Sam Payne! 

#GradAcad

The Park Study










As I mentioned earlier I went for a shoot earlier, but I also went for a shoot after our session at Mother, I shall definitely miss working on this project as tomorrow is my last day to get everything shot as it is sadly my last day in London!






No comments:

Post a Comment